Thursday 4 October 2012

Research- Narrative, backdrop and map.

                                Research 
My game is set within the Scottish isles, the rich folklorian history of the Orkney islands in particular has persuaded me to set the game there so I direct my research their in hopes of finding elements of their native legends that I can mix and mash into my own narrative to better improve my story and breathe life into my fantasy Scottish world.

http://www.orkneyjar.com/folklore/index.html
and http://www.ancestralorkney.com/famousfolklore.html

are both websites that have proved valuable in rich tales and paint a fantastic picture of Orkney and her stories. Picking my islands will be a difficult process and I will do it based around their geographical location and their history hopefully tweaking my narrative to let some of this rich history into the veins of my narrative.
I used Google maps to examine the islands closely to work out a good sailing path for the priest in my narrative.

The folklore of Orkney can be divided into two different groups- the stories of the sea and those of the land,, looking into these I've found a variety of creatures and stories that I could use to enrich my own narrative.
Certainly I have located creature I can use as characters and recurring themes within Orkney legend that I could attribute to the game.

I have began to write my first version of the games design document which I will upload upon completion.

No comments:

Post a Comment