Sunday 25 November 2012

The Ceartas.



The Ceartas is the boat that carries the priest, after he is changed into a puppet to traverse the devils prison world the player must sail this vessel up to the island Tartarus. Ceartas is Gaelic for justice.

The Boat was always something I wanted to feature in the game and will be used at the beginning to teach the player the games controls, for instance the player will be required to jump up the mast and interact with it at the top to shift the sails. The player will sail the boat up to the island Tartarus and the games beginning to start the quest.

THE DESIGN.
The Ceartas is the boat the priest puts together out of the ruins left of his home town after the leviathan destroys it. The boats figurehead is a mixture of a selkie (half seal half women creatures of scottish folklore) and blind justice, this came from looking at the purpose of figureheads throughout history, they were mostly used to convey the name of the ship in a non-literate sense.

I researched into scottish fishing vessels quite a bit but disliked alot of what I saw so I had the priest construct the boat himself giving me le-way in my design to create something more suitable.

For a look at some early Scottish fishing boats that originally inspired the Ceartas take a look here.





With the boat done I started doing some concept bits and pieces to hand over to other team members, finding a look between real and puppet world was interestingly more complicated than I thought it would be.

Writing and  drawing a walk through of the game is my task now. The theory is really important, if the ethical game-play doesn't communicate to the player then the whole game wont play as I wish.


Sam.





No comments:

Post a Comment