Thursday 6 December 2012

The Leviathan statue.


The Leviathan statue.

This is one of the most important pieces of the entire game. This statue is the main way a player can interpret how their actions are changing the game. The statue is in the centre of the town that the player runs around and all the villagers pray to it, as the player completes tasks the statues appearance will change. Help the leviathan worshippers and The statue will get more tentacles and look shiny and looked after, Harass and hinder the leviathan followers by helping the mythological beasts and the statue will became aged and dilapidated  There is even a few sneaky middle ground ones I'm working out but we will get to that later, I want it to be a lot more complicated than just good and bad and this leaves the player free to judge what the statue represents, I don't want it to be perfectly clear so that aspect of the game is open to player interpretation, to a degree obviously if you go around killing everything you will see this reflected very fast in the statue.

The statue design didn't take long to nail, I already had a pretty clear Idea of what I wanted, something symbolic and a touch abstract, After a few thumbnails I had it.


I started colour testing, This turned out to be harder to nail than I thought and needed alot of tweaking, it was important I chose a colour that felt neither good or bad but a happy boring medium but also stood out nicely against the town backdrop.


Still didn't quite have it...


I tested the statues against some backgrounds  one was a rough concept for the town (above) which was built for the purpose of the test, its the same grey as the majority of the background will be.


Heres a test against the most complete backround I have drawn by Max Perkins for 'Stop hitting me'
my mini game tech demo.


The final I went for is bronze although the base had to be tweaked to let the statue stand out. Bronze stands out well in the backdrop while not dominating the backdrop, it also ages well turning green in its age giving me some nice colours to play with when I go on to mess around with it later.




(Below)
Little design addition I did was to add the shape of the priests daughter into the leviathan statue, The leviathans stolen the priests daughter and I wanted some kind of symbolic representation of that within the statue, I like the idea the player may be able to spot this little easter egg him/her self although its only a very small detail.




Sam.


No comments:

Post a Comment